Les Francis Scholarship for Civic Education
The Les Francis Scholarship for Civic Education was created by Les Francis and endowed by Mr. Francis and his many friends, admirers, and fellow political consultants. The scholarship is intended to support prospective (or current) teachers of high school civics/social sciences. The scholarship is awarded in the spring semester for the following academic year, so awardees must be matriculated at SJSU during the following fall term to be eligible.
- Matriculated student at SJSU next fall majoring in one of the College of Social Sciences programs
- Either a current teacher or an intention to become a teacher of high school civics/social sciences
- Financial need as determined through the FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid office
- College of Social Sciences
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you currently a teacher or do you intend to become a teacher of high school civics/social sciences?
- Please upload a writing sample that you feel best exemplifies your writing abilities (at least 3 pages in length).
- Which SJSU professor has been most influential to you? Briefly explain why. (40 word max)
- List the name and email address of a faculty that could potentially be contacted as a reference. Do not ask them to write letters on your behalf at this time. Instead, ask them for permission to list their name on this form before submitting it. The Scholarship Review Committee will contact the suggested faculty for a reference if you are a finalist. The person you select should be someone who knows you and can speak about your abilities and strengths.